Shipping industry needs huge shipping containers which are specifically created to endure harsh marine environments when sailing on sea or transportation on land. These containers are usually made of stainless steel or other materials that prevent corrosion. However, even if you buy the highest quality shipping container, some amount of maintenance is warranted to keep it last longer and in a good condition.
The main reasons that damage shipping containers are incorrectly packing causing dents, bulges etc. read the following tips to keep in mind so as to ensure shipping container maintenance:
- Purchase: Buy containers only from reputed sellers who offer standard quality checks done. Some offer warranties which also should be considered while buying.
- Check: do a thorough check regularly to make sure that there is no rust or other wear and tear. Start by checking the roof and the floor of the container. Also check your containers’ modified areas, such as around the joins or metal on metal areas where the possibility of corrosion is more.
- If the containers are in a poor condition, i.e. if you find rust or corrosion then carry out the needed repair work soon. Areas that are damaged due to cuts or dents should be sealed and painted.
- Keep the containers well maintained and be careful while loading and unloading so as to prevent any damage caused by the structure of the container. Avoid overloading.
- Ensure that the shipping container is installed on a level, well-drained surface as this will further prevent corrosion of the underside.
- Shipping containers have only a few moving parts in its door. Thus, those moving parts should also be inspected separately to make sure they are in proper condition. To do so, firstly, clean them by removing all dirt, grit, and rust using a commercial grade cleaner and lubricate the parts. Thereafter, lubricate the door’s moving parts. Use sprays and oils to do so.
Usually, shipping container maintenance is not made a priority as it is seen as unnecessary costs but it is actually an investment because of the advantages as discussed. There is many shipping container maintenance service providers such as TransGulf maritime that will take care of all the requirements. To know more about shipping container maintenance, you can go to www.transgulfmaritime.com.