Leasing large shipping containers for a specific period of time is quite beneficial for large enterprises and import/ export businesses. These containers offer a viable storage space, whether on the dock or if you plan on shipping goods over a long term basis. Purchasing these containers might seem like a viable option, however, shipping containers are expensive and depreciate in their value rapidly. Also, it becomes hard to dispose the container once it has disintegrated with prolonged use. Thus hiring a shipping container seems like a lucrative option. Here are a few tips to consider if you are planning on hiring shipping containers.
- Know what size container you need beforehand. Hiring a container that is too small or too big will result in ineffective space management to ship your goods, irrespective of how well you plan your storage space. Renting the right sized container will not only be more cost effective, but will also prove to be more safe for your goods as they will be snugly fit safely.
- Know how long you will have to rent the container. This includes the transit time and how long it will be before you return the container to the owner. This is important as most shipping container suppliers tend to levy a late fee, which can be easily avoided with a little foresight.
- Apply for a lease well in advance. This will ensure that you get your hands on a right sized container that is in good shape. Waiting until the last minute will result in limited options which might not fit your requirements.
- Thoroughly check the leasing document. In most cases, you will have to pay extra for land transport if the storage facility is not located close to the harbour. In such cases, have a word with the leasing company about the additional fee that will be levied.
- Be wary of corrosion. These containers are made of metal, and exposure to salty sea water will quicken the rate of corrosion. Check the container thoroughly for any cracks and structural irregularities. If any are found, you can ask the leasing owner to fix it or assign you a new container. Moving shipping containers from the ships to the harbour is done using heavy lifts and cranes. Since the container is anchored around very few points, any faulty cracks in the structure will result in damage during the transit.
At Transgulf Maritime Services, we deal in a variety of shipping containers for lease in Bahrain. For more information about our services, do visit our website at http://www.transgulfmaritime.com